ClipBoard Help File
This is the Help "file" for the Python Application whose main page is: Python Smart ClipBoard
This Help Page is Early Draft
2021 April .... working on enhancements so may get this page right, had to get wiki here working again, finally is Fix coming soon..... No it is not, help is going to link to the main project page. This material will be reused elsewhere if useful.
This Python program (clip_board.py) is an application to enhance the windows ( unix ?? ) clipboard by adding the ability to it to:
- Transform keyboard contents, referred to as "Transforms".
- Insert predefined elements into the clipboard, referred to as "Snippets".
- Open example files in a configurable editor or ide, referred to as "Snips". -- This really does not involve the clipboard, but is a sort of high powered version of snippets
- Interpret copied text as commands or directions to the system to carry out some action specified in the clipboard contents, for example, browse to some website.
- The program is easily modified by adding transforms, snips, or snippets, this may require some python programming.
The program does not have a clipboard history as I, so far, have not found that useful. There are a lot of other apps with this feature.
For a quick overview on use once installed see the GUI documentation at: ClipBoard GUI That page will also link to the 4 areas of operation:
Transformations is one of the principal functions of the ClipBoard App, there is a whole page that lists most of them ( they are frequently enhanced keeping up is hard to do )
Interpret copied text as commands or directions to the system to carry out some action specified in the clipboard contents, for example, browse to some website. Clipboard Commands
Using the GUI see: ClipBoard GUI
Meta Tool Bar
the meta tool bar is the button bar across the top, it performs actions ( like help ) that are about the application, like configuration, but are not part of its purpose ( like transforming clipboard contents )
- Edit the parameter file: Use your development environment for Python or a text editor to edit parameters.py. See also: The section below, Configuration Files For Python. I have a button on the GUI for this.
- Install: see section above.
- Debug: see section below.
- Quick Restart of the application: Not in this app, just shutdown and restart.
- Use your preferred text editor. In the parameter file, see below.
- Using the GUI see: ClipBoard GUI
More Info Here
How to Use the Parameter File
Editing of the parameters.py file
- See above in Download and Install
- Enable your favorite editor to work with the application.
- self.ex_editor = r"D:\apps\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" # use r" or the backslashes will not work, or you can use forward slashes instead; they may be "wrong" in Windowd, but they work.
- Lots of other settings:
- Read the comments in parameters.py and change as desired. If a setting does not work let me know.
- If you mess up.
- Re download and get back to the original parameter file.
- Click on Category ClipBoard below
- Python Smart ClipBoard - OpenCircuits main page for this application.