Jump to navigation Jump to search
Python is a Great Language
So are others, but for some purposes Python may be the best
- Has its own iconic cartoon [import antigravity] ( do you know of any for another language? )
- Named after Monty Python, how cool is that.
- Runs on many OS's including the Raspberry PI.
- Great interactive modes.
- Concise, code often short without being cryptic.
- Real language not a toy.
- Widely used, lots of support books.....
- Lots of libraries for doing lots of things.
- Interpreted, but not all the time may be compiled.
- Seems to play well with other languages.
- Option for serious Object Orientation, almost everything is an object of a class.
- No need to adopt the OO methodology for many programs.
- Not statically typed which may not suit your tastes ( or may be a plus ).
- Not the fastest, but often fast enough.
Ways to Run
- From text editor, save file, run with an interperter. ( Generally use Idle instead, nicer, almost as lean )
- IPython, a highy interactive environment ( I have not used )
- Idle ( as in Eric ) a really really basic, IDE