Backup Help File
This is the Help "file" for the Python Application whose main page is: Python Backup Program
Help file for backup application.
- Highly configurable.
- Only copies new and updated files.
- Produces detailed and summary logs.
- Once set up runs an update with a couple of clicks.
- Recurse down a directory structure ( how far is configurable ).
- Can select files with "file filters" For example only *.png and *.gif files.
- GUI shows activity.
- Can pause.
- Can set to throttle the backup so it does not degrade computer performance.
- Directory structure, file names, file format preserved in backup.
- Backup files may be inspected without need for a restore.
- Can be set to simulate mode where you can see ( via the log files ) what would have been copied.
Download and Install
There is really no install program. Currently the application is intended for those who have at least a little familiarity with Python coding and can just insert the downloaded code into their development environment and run it. Code not yet available.
- Setup for backup of a directory. See section below.
- Edit the parameter file: Use your development environment for Python or a text editor to edit parameters.py. See also: The section below, Configuration Files For Python. Normally I have a button on the GUI for this, but this function does not seem so useful for this application
- View the log: Use the application button ( after configuring for your editor ) or any text editor on the file smart_plug.py_log. This is the default file name, it can be changed in parameters.py.
- Install: see section above.
- Debug: see section below.
- Quick Restart of the application: Not in this app, just shutdown and restart.
- Use your preferred text editor. In the parameter file, see below.
How to Use the Parameter File
See: Configuration Files For Python You need a text editor sutiable for .py files to manage the parameter file ( parameters.py ) This includes most text editors. I particularity like:
You can also use the editor that comes in many python development environments, the simplest of which may be Idle. But there are many many others. If you are reading this you probably have some experience.
Once you configure an editor in parameters.py you can edit from the <Edit Parms> in the GUI ( see below )
When editing there are couple of gotchas to watch out for.
- Python cares about capitalization, use the capitalization indicated in the default files and the example code.
- Python also cares a lot about how lines are indented. Do not change the indentation from the sample files, and always indent using spaces ( not tabs. most text editors will use spaces automatically for .py files, even if you use the tab key )
Editing of the parameters.py file
- See above in Download and Install
- Enable your favorite editor to work with the application.
- self.ex_editor = r"D:\apps\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" # use r" or the backslashes will not work, or you can use forward slashes instead they may be wrong but they work.
- Lots of other settings:
- Read the comments in parameters.py and change as desired. If a setting does not work let me know.
- If you mess up.
- Re download and get back to the original parameter file.
see: SmartPlug GUI Images
There are several application outputs that may be useful for debugging.
- Watch the GUI
- Check the Python console.
- Look at the python log file ( use the GUI button <Edit Log> ( specify your editor in parameters.py first ) or use your editor on the default name of the log file ...\smart_plug\smart_plug.py_log.
Most issues will probably be missing libraries, parameters.py issues, or just bugs in my code (email me ).
- Python Backup Program main page for this project
- Click on category page for this project ( Python Backup ) below.
- Click on What links here on the left of this page