Whatever happened to the Homebrew STM project? I don't know. I guess I will try to re-create the project here.
I remember someone posted plans for an atomic-resolution scanning microscope on the web. Too bad his website went offline.
Juergen Mueller has some detailed plans. http://www.e-basteln.de/
Parts needed for an STM:
- computer-to-analog interface
- analog to high-voltage analog amplifiers
- piezo tube (are there any other alternatives for atomic-resolution positioning?)
- mounting hardware
- vibration isolation hardware (cases, rubber feet, bungee cords, etc.)
- tips (there seem to be a wide variety of prices)
- ... what am I missing ? ...
What's the total cost?
I've heard that some people run their STMs "in solution", the tip of the probe scanning the bottom of a dish of water. So, contrary to popular belief, you do *not* need a vacuum chamber.
... help fill in the details ...